If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be?
Thirty to forty years from now there will be an event. One that will change who we believe we are, what we believe and whether there is anything to believe in.
First contact is one thing I believe will happen in my lifetime.
When I talk about first contact, I’m referring to contact from an extra-terrestrial race. A species from another planet, little green men.
Since I was a little kid and I saw my first UFO, I’ve thought about what it would be like. Would it be like the movies, in one form or another.
There are types of races we could encounter.
- There is the race that is bent on domination. This is not that one we want. This is the Sci-Fi movie bad guy.
- The race that is exploring the universe, but must not interfere with races that haven’t developed to a certain level. This is the Star Trek type of race. The one who can’t break a law.
- Third is the race that is already here, the lurkers. The ones who have been here and are watching our society develop. But can’t interfere because, like the second race, isn’t allowed to by some law of the cosmos.
Third is our most likely contact, since they may be here already, they’re just waiting for us to reach a milestone in our development. A milestone which, according to laws, must be reached in order for them to communicate with us.
My reasons for believing this will happen in my lifetime.
- Our species has progressed faster in the last century than at any time in our history.
- We’re making leaps in science and space travel. This past summer Curiosity did something amazing when it landed on Mars, pictures that were clearer than any we’d seen before, and they don’t have little green men in them.
- Our time is right. We’ve done things in the past ten years that were greater than the ten years prior.
Scientifically, we’re advancing faster than we’ve ever done. This is especially true in regards to computers and technology.
That we’re getting closer on cloning. Not so much to clone ourselves but the medical possibilities of cloning are amazing.
Robotics is another thing we’re making leaps and bounds on.
There are a few TED Talks about robotics, and how much closer we are to having a robotic servant in each house within fifty years.
The end of the world either by Zombie Apocalypse, Robots taking over, Aliens invading. Stories like these come about when a society is either on the cusp of greatness, or at the end of its time.
I believe we’re on the cusp, we just need that push. First contact would be that push.
Brian B. Baker is an unpublished writer of Science Fiction/Fantasy and Horror. He’s been writing short stories since high school, and is certain it’s one of the few things that keeps him sane. Brian blogs at The Bleeding Inkwell.